A chieftain of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) and former Edo State governorship aspirant, Mr Ken Imansuagbon, has thrown his weight behind the presidential candidate of the party, former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar, over his pledge to restore petrol subsidy if elected in 2027, insisting that the policy reversal would provide immediate relief to millions of Nigerians battling economic hardship.
Imansuagbon, in a strongly worded statement issued on Saturday in Benin City, described the criticism that greeted Atiku’s position from the presidency and the ruling APC as “misplaced and politically motivated”.
He argued that the removal of fuel subsidy by the President Bola Tinubu-led administration had further impoverished Nigerians, worsened inflation and inflicted unprecedented hardship on families across the country.
According to him, “The removal of fuel subsidy has not translated into a better life for Nigerians. Instead, it has pauperised millions of citizens, destroyed the purchasing power of workers, increased the cost of transportation, food, healthcare and education, while businesses continue to shut down under the weight of unbearable operating costs.”
The ADC stalwart maintained that Atiku’s promise to restore the subsidy was not a sign of inconsistency but evidence of courageous leadership capable of reviewing policies that had failed to achieve their objectives.
“Atiku should not be attacked simply because he is prepared to reconsider a position he held in 2023. That is the mark of a compassionate and people-oriented leader,” he said.
Imansuagbon further argued that despite claims by the Federal Government that trillions of naira had been saved from subsidy removal, Nigerians had seen little evidence of prudent deployment of the funds.
“Where are the trillions reportedly saved? Nigerians deserve transparent answers. We still have collapsing infrastructure, worsening insecurity, failing hospitals, underfunded schools, mass unemployment and deepening poverty. If these enormous resources were truly invested in the people’s welfare, the ordinary Nigerian should have felt the impact by now,” he stated.
He insisted that the real debate should not be about whether subsidy should remain or be removed, but whether the policy had improved the quality of life of ordinary citizens.
“The important question is simple: Has subsidy removal made life better for Nigerians? The answer is clearly no. The resources released were expected to improve transportation, healthcare, education, employment opportunities and social protection programmes, but Nigerians have only experienced more suffering and economic despair,” Imansuagbon added.
The former governorship aspirant expressed confidence that Atiku possessed the experience, competence and economic understanding required to rescue Nigeria from what he described as the “economic quagmire” created by the APC-led Federal Government.
“Atiku Abubakar remains the only presidential aspirant today with the courage, capacity and economic blueprint to reset Nigeria on the path of recovery. The pains inflicted on Nigerians under President Tinubu’s administration can begin to heal within Atiku’s first 100 days in office through people-centred economic reforms, including the restoration of subsidy where necessary to cushion the suffering of citizens,” he said.
He praised the former vice-president for what he described as his enduring love for humanity and commitment to the welfare of Nigerians, urging citizens to look beyond partisan sentiments and support policies capable of restoring hope to the country.
He maintained that Nigeria’s economic recovery should take precedence over politics, stressing that any policy that failed to improve the living conditions of the people deserved to be reviewed in the national interest.
