The Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly has resolved to return to its main complex along Udo Udoma Avenue, Uyo, for legislative proceedings, despite stalled renovations and concerns over the facility’s condition.
The resolution was reached on Thursday during a special sitting of the House held at the assembly chambers, part of the complex where renovation works have stalled for over nine months.
The development came two days after PREMIUM TIMES reported the deplorable condition of the complex, its abandoned state, and concerns over the prolonged relocation of lawmakers to a temporary chamber at the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs within the Government House premises.
The House resolved to resume plenary at the main complex pending when the contractor issues a final evacuation notice for the section of the building where construction work is expected to take place.
The motion was moved by the member representing Essien Udim State Constituency, Prince Akpabio, and seconded by the member representing Okobo State Constituency, Bassey Bassey.
Supporting the motion, the Chief Whip of the House, Effiong Johnson, said the decision reflected the majority position of lawmakers to return legislative proceedings to the main chambers pending the commencement of construction work in that section of the complex.
However, at the end of plenary, the Speaker of the Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly, Udeme Otong, announced that the assembly has been adjourned sine die.
Adjourning a plenary sine die means that the legislative body has ended its session indefinitely without setting a date or time to meet again. In routine legislative proceedings, the date and time for the next meeting is usually announced.
The decision to hold plenary at the abandoned complex came against the backdrop of concerns that parts of the assembly complex have been exposed to flooding and other hazards since renovation work began unprogressively since October last year.

Former lawmakers inspect dilapidated complex
Thursday’s special sitting was convened primarily as a valedictory session in honour of the late Imo Ibokette, a former majority leader of the Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly, who represented Abak State Constituency between 1999 and 2003.
Former members of the House joined serving lawmakers for the valedictory sitting.
Before the session began, some former lawmakers toured the assembly complex and expressed concern over the state of unprogressive work since October last year.

One of the former speakers of the House, who spoke while inspecting the facility, expressed surprise that the complex had been allowed to deteriorate to its present condition despite promised renovation for over nine months.
“This would never have happened in our time. The House of Assembly would never have allowed it. The governor would also never have contemplated it. That this happens reveals how this assembly is regarded by the governor,” the former speaker said.
The complex’s condition has become a subject of renewed public attention following the relocation of legislative activities and the slow progress of the renovation project.
PREMIUM TIMES had earlier reported that the assembly temporarily moved its legislative activities to the old chambers at the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs within the Government House to pave the way for renovation work at the main complex.
Lawmakers say public pressure forced action
Some lawmakers who spoke to PREMIUM TIMES on condition of anonymity said the decision to return to the complex was influenced by the public criticism that followed PREMIUM TIMES report on the condition of the assembly complex.
One of the lawmakers said the report generated unprecedented criticism of members, including calls from former state lawmakers and members of the National Assembly questioning why the state legislature had allowed its main complex to deteriorate.
“After PREMIUM TIMES last report, we have received unprecedented bashing from the public on social media and beyond. Even former lawmakers who had served at the House of Assembly and National Assembly have called us and asked us what is happening and why we allow this to happen. We needed to take action,” the lawmaker said.
Another lawmaker said members had become embarrassed by questions from lawmakers in other states who had seen the report and sought confirmation about the condition of the Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly complex.
“Most House members have complained how their colleagues from other states share the story with them and ask if that was indeed the true situation. They mock us, and it is too embarrassing,” the lawmaker said.
A third lawmaker said members had initially raised concerns about the renovation after observing that the project was not ready to commence properly despite parts of the roof having been removed.
According to the lawmaker, some members had proposed measures to address the situation but stopped discussing the matter openly after information about members who spoke during such meetings was allegedly passed to the governor by some colleagues.
The lawmaker said this made members reluctant to raise the issue during executive sessions for fear that their discussions would be relayed to the executive.
The claims could not be independently verified.
House Leader leaves chamber as motion is raised
The resolution was also marked by the unexpected departure of the House Leader, Otobong Bob, shortly before the motion on the return to the assembly complex was raised.
Mr Bob, who represents Nsit Ubium State Constituency, the local government area of Governor Umo Eno, walked out of the chamber and was seen making telephone calls. He did not return before the sitting ended.
PREMIUM TIMES contacted lawmakers familiar with the development to establish whether there was disagreement over the motion.
Some of them said the proposal had not been discussed during the executive session, noting that it was a plan orchestrated by the majority of members without the knowledge of a few within the assembly leadership.
One lawmaker claimed the speaker was unhappy with the decision; hence, the reason he subsequently adjourned plenary sine die.
This claim too could not be independently verified.
PREMIUM TIMES reported that the House had previously attempted to return to the Udo Udoma complex in June following a security standoff that prevented lawmakers from accessing their temporary chamber at the Government House.
Following that incident, the Speaker, Mr Otong, directed the House Services Committee to prepare the assembly chamber for legislative activities. However, controversy followed the announcement, leading to the suspension of the speaker’s press secretary over what the speaker’s office described as an unauthorised publication.
READ ALSO: Akwa Ibom governor abandons assembly rehabilitation but pushes N248.83bn tourism projects
House leader silent
PREMIUM TIMES sent a media enquiry to Mr Bob seeking clarification on his decision to leave the chamber just before the motion was raised.
The enquiry also asked whether his telephone calls were related to the motion, whether he supported the resolution, and whether there was disagreement among lawmakers over the timing or circumstances of the proposed return.
Mr Bob did not respond to calls, text messages, or a WhatsApp message sent to him as of the time of filing this report.
The assembly has not publicly explained why the House resolved to return to the complex despite ongoing renovation work or whether the contractor has formally indicated that the main chamber is safe for legislative proceedings.
The resolution puts the assembly in a delicate position: lawmakers are seeking to resume plenary in a facility that has been exposed to the vagaries of the weather, and part of the building flooded after over nine months of renovation work that has not progressed.
Discover more from Premium Times Nigeria
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

